SAFTEA Defensive Shotgun 2 Instructor
The SAFTEA Instructor level courses are designed to teach the experienced shooter/instructor, how to present the SAFTEA courses to the general public using the SAFTEA MOI as a basis for instructional methods and techniques. This course also encompasses the proper running of the range portions of the class and the best practices for achieving the maximum amount of learning from the students.
The goal of the Second Amendment Firearms Training & Education Association’s Defensive Shotgun 2 Course is to provide the student with an opportunity to build upon the foundational skill-set and knowledge base that was acquired in Defensive Shotgun 1. This will include a continued focus on the defensive mindset, discussion regarding avoidance/deescalation strategies, an understanding of the physiological changes that occur in the human body when under lethal force stress and what affect they have on our training, and a series of skill development exercises that will help the student learn to more efficiently and effectively use a shotgun for self defense in a lethal force encounter.
Defensive Shotgun 2 is not a “marksmanship” or “target shooting” course. Rather it is designed to help the student quickly develop essential skills that can help him/her prevail in a real lethal force encounter.
Defensive Shotgun 2 consists of a full day of intense range training and instruction covering a variety of topics including, but not limited to:
- Avoidance and deescalation strategies
- The importance of the Defensive Mindset
- Physiological changes that occur when under severe stress
- Review of Defensive Shooting Fundamentals
- Defensive Accuracy Concept
- Volume of Fire
- Using lateral movement
- Presentation of the Shotgun
- Emergency and Tactical Reloads
- Proper Scan and Assess procedure
- Malfunction Clearing Remedies
- Engaging Multiple Targets
- Moving to Cover and/or Concealment
- Application of learned skills under realistic conditions
- A modern, serviceable shotgun, (pump or semi-auto shotgun recommended) in 12, 16 or 20 gauge
- Eye and ear protection (safety glasses that meet ANSI Z87.1-2003 standards, and ear plugs or muffs with at least 21db Noise Reduction Rating).
- Sturdy Shoes, Long Pants, Shirt With Higher Collar
- Ammunition: Factory fresh ammo only. NO RELOADS or specialty ammo.
- 150 rounds (7 1/2 or #8 shot), 25 shells that are #5 shot and at least 10 00-buck
- A quality belt designed to anchor gear to your body
- Shotshell carrier (either weapon mounted, belt or shotshell pouch)
- Comfortable clothing, knee-pads (optional but recommended).
- Hydration system or Bottled water.
- Baseball Cap
- Must posses outstanding firearm handling safety skills
- SAFTEA Methods of Instruction MOI within the last 2 years / (2 Days)
- Liability Insurance with minimum of 1,000,000 coverage before your first class
- SAFTEA Range Officer Certification
- First Aid, CPR and AED Certification (National or State recognized organization)-(Must be up to date.)
- Must take and pass the SAFTEA Student level class.
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must be a U.S. Citizens or Legal Permanent Resident with valid Green Card. (ITAR)
- Must speak, write and understand English
- Must be able to legally posses firearms under both Federal and State laws.
The Defensive Shotgun 2 course length is a full day, typically taking 8 – 10 hours including a 1-hour scheduled lunch break. A short break is given after each hour of instruction (approximately).