SAFTEA Women's Defensive Handgun 2
The goal of the Second Amendment Firearms Training & Education Association’s Women's Defensive Handgun 2 course is to provide women with an opportunity to build upon the foundational skill-set and knowledge base that was acquired in Women's Defensive Handgun 1. This will include a continued focus on the defensive mindset and the development of marksmanship and gun handling skills needed to safely and effectively carry a concealed handgun for personal self-defense.
Students will become adept at working with the handgun from the holster, including presenting safely, efficiently, quickly and safely re-holstering. You will learn to shoot quickly but accurately, fire multiple shots with full control, learn to reload the pistol quickly and efficiently using both speed reloads and emergency reloads. Students will learn to shoot with one hand using the dominant hand and/or the non-dominant hand. We will work on mental conditioning to prepare the student to effectively deal with a sudden threat to their life or the life of another.
Women's Defensive Handgun 2 is designed to develop essential skills that can help her prevail in a lethal force encounter.
Topics include but are not limited to:
- Gun Safety Rules and trigger finger and muzzle discipline.
- The importance of the defensive mindset.
- Review of defensive shooting fundamentals.
- Dry fire and live fire exercises.
- Presentation from a holster.
- Emergency and speed reloads.
- Fighting stance/platform.
- Delivering multiple shots efficiently and on target.
- Trigger reset.
- The IALEFI-QP silhouette target.
- Introduction to one hand only presentation and shooting.
Required equipment needed is:
- A modern, serviceable, center-fire handgun (semi-automatic highly recommended).
- Ear and eye protection (electronic ear protection preferred).
- A strong side holster. For safety reasons, our classes will use strong side holsters only! No cross draws, shoulder rigs, pocket holsters, ankle, appendix or small of the back carry holsters. Blackhawk Serpa and similar holsters, which require the use of the index finger to deactivate a retention device will not be used in SAFTD classes. The ONLY exception is for Law Enforcement and Military who are issued these types of holsters for duty use.
- A concealment garment, light jacket, shirt or vest.
- Semi-automatic pistol or double action revolver .38 special or 9mm or above. No pocket guns or holsters such as the Keltec PF9, Ruger LCP etc. You will be presenting the gun from concealment and reholstering repeatedly. You need to be proficient at this task and have a holster that does not collapse when the gun is removed.
- 175 rounds of ammunition: factory fresh ammo only. NO RELOADS or specialty ammo such as RIP ammo.
- Two additional functional magazines (semi-autos) or speed-loaders (revolvers).
- Two magazine carriers.
- Comfortable, weather appropriate clothing.
- Bottled water or hydration system.
- Comfortable but supportive shoes. No sandals or flip-flops.
- Long pants and a shirt, no low cut necklines please.
- Sturdy belt that supports weight of gun.
- Baseball cap.
Course length is a full day, typically 8-10 hours including a 1-hour lunch break. There are short breaks throughout both the classroom session and shooting range drills.